RE: [nsp] Config Options.

From: Kevin Gannon (kevin@gannons.net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 16:34:55 EDT

>I want to run a pair of BGP sessions to a Private AS via two ATM links.
>I'm holding back prefixes and the CPE is using default routes to send
>traffic back. The LAN
>interfaces on the CPE's run HSRP to give the customer a single gateway, but
>HSRP can only
>track Interface states. I cannot put a link between the CPE's as they are
>sometimes on
>different sites miles apart. The link state change is imperitave for any
>type of failure to ensure
>the HSRP session fails over. Any thoughts?

If you are trying to spot the odd failures how about the following:

1)Run a tunnel between the routers to simulate a crossover cable.
    Run the tunnel within the CPE network ;-). Make sure you have
    lots of CPU on the routers and also you have plenty of BW
    with the CPE network.

2) Make sure you have OAM running on the ATM pvcs so if there
      is a failure within the ATM cloud you will get a link change

3) Advertise via an IGP a route something like

         router ospf 100 ! or you favourite IGP
                 redistribute static

         ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <some supernet within your AS>
         ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <ip address of the other rtrs lan side>

    This means if you lose BGP to router the second route will kick in.
     Why not just redistribute an default from BGP into the IGP. I like this
      idea more as you way still get a advert for the 0/0 even if half you AS
     is dead in many cases. If you choose a "good" supernet this is less
      "likely" to happen.

They are just different thoughts for you to try or play with.

Regards,
Kevin

>Jon..

All e-mails for technical support must be cc'd to support@lancomms.ie. This
ensures that the call is logged with the support desk and the case is actively
tracked which speeds up the response you will receive. If you have an urgent
problem you _must_ contact the support desk directly on 01-4093030.