RE: [nsp] 7513 crash

From: Nathan (nathan@arteck.com)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 16:57:10 EDT

cosmic radiation

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/122/crashes_pmpe.html

"Soft parity errors - these occur when an energy level within the chip (for
example, a one or a zero) changes - most often the result of cosmic
radiation. When referenced by the CPU, they cause the system to either crash
(if the error is in an area that is not recoverable) or they recover other
systems (for example, a CyBus complex restart if the error was in the packet
memory (MEMD). In case of a soft parity error, there is no need to swap the
board or any of the components. Check the external links at the bottom of
this page for additional information about soft parity errors."