RE: [nsp] L1/2 ISIS Design

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 18:04:08 EDT

> Hi. Tricky this one. I Have a nasty bug in 12.0.X code on
> my 72xx and GSR
> Core in that the ISIS 'advertise' redistribution method
> doesn't work for
> selective redistribution of L2 to L1. This is vital in an
> L1/2 topology
> since IGP routes for iBGP next-hop addresses (ingress
> routers' loopback
> addresses, typically) need to be redistributed into L1 in all
> L1 areas for:

Depends if Cisco supports RFC 2966 with updates to TLV 128 and 130, or just
TLV 135 semantics. Since they support transitioning, they should be able to
do both. Either way, only the L1/L2 router needs to understand the use of
the high-order bit in the default metric octet, as 1195-only implementations
should ignore this bit. Narrow metrics blow for accurate metric
representation anyway, so I'd go to wide metrics ASAP. If need be, just run
transition on the L1/L2 routers at first.

chris