Re: [nsp] [nsp] VIP if-con and IOS switching (was: Monitoring DoS attacks w

From: Siva Valliappan (svalliap@cisco.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 02:56:04 EDT

one caution when checking VIP CPU. it is normal for the VIP cpu
to be at 99% if the VIP is doing receive side buffering. receive
side buffering is enabled if you are running DCEF. if you see a
VIP cpu at 99%, please check if receive side buffering is in
effect via

show controller vip <slot> acc

from the RSP or

show vip acc

from the vip console.

with respect to the second part of your question -
when you enable netflow on a router that is doing CEF switching, flow
only does accounting. it does not switch packets. when netflow
is enabled with DCEF, the VIP does the accounting and passes up
aggregated flows to the RSP. netflow needs memory to keep track of
the flows running through the router, so your memory requirements
when running netflow + cef will be higher then just running netflow.

RSP based DFS only co-exists with DCEF in 11.1()CC. in 12.0 and later
code, distributed fast-switching, and the optimized cache based switching
schemes such as (optimum and flow (for switching purposes) were removed.
the only switching scheme other CEF is plain fast-switching for RSP
based platforms.

regards
.siva