RE: [nsp] cat 2912XL ports not responding

From: KF (kf@reign.sk)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 04:26:41 EDT

Yo, This is probably an hardware issue. I had up to 10 bad 29XL switches in
past time... Some of them had bad ports after shipping, and other went off
during first two weeks... But I remember also one problem with configuration
(clustering) and IOS.... argh... pain in the ass... but I can't remember the
solution yet... maybe others around will speak.. But it was something
about... VLANS ...Yo...

VTP protocol was enabled as Client... then overconfigured to Server or
Transparent (I dunno exactly). Afterwards was unable to save to flash the
VLAN config ;)... some bad errors like "your switch is going to hell" was
displayed .... Together with 802.1Q .... this was the problem.... after
changed IOS and after cleard blocked (write protected?) vlan config... It
started to work..but...The behavior was like You said... after a while port
goes down... NO link...no NO shutdown ;))

Now I know why they are so cheap ;))

Anyway, XL series is good... but have to have some luck

greetz

Alex