RE: [nsp] cisco hdlc packet formats

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 00:24:58 EDT

Here is the breakdown (thanks to George Matey for this!)

--------------
The first ("address") octet is set to 0x0F for unicast packets and 0x8F for
broadcast packets. Broadcast just means that the higher-level protocol
thought this was a broadcast packet; cisco doesn't support multidrop HDLC at
this time.

The second ("control") octet is always 0.

The next two octets are a 16-bit protocol code, sent most-significant-first.
These codes are usually Ethernet type codes. cisco has added some codes to
support packet types that don't appear on Ethernets. The current list of
codes is as follows:

         TYPE_PUP 0x0200 PUP
         TYPE_XNS 0x0600 XNS
         TYPE_IP10MB 0x0800 IP
         TYPE_CHAOS 0x0804 Chaos
         TYPE_IEEE_SPANNING 0x4242 DSAP/SSAP for IEEE spanning prot.
         TYPE_DECNET 0x6003 DECnet phase IV
         TYPE_BRIDGE 0x6558 Bridged Ethernet/802.3 packet

         TYPE_APOLLO 0x8019 Apollo domain
         TYPE_REVERSE_ARP 0x8035 cisco SLARP (not real reverse ARP!)

         TYPE_DEC_SPANNING 0x8038 DEC bridge spanning tree protocol

         TYPE_ETHERTALK 0x809b Apple EtherTalk
         TYPE_AARP 0x80f3 Appletalk ARP
         TYPE_NOVELL1 0x8137 Novell IPX
         TYPE_CLNS 0xFEFE ISO CLNP/ISO ES-IS DSAP/SSAP

This list is shared between serial and Ethernet encapsulations. Not all
these codes will necessarily appear on serial lines. This list will probably
be extended as cisco adds support for more protocols.

Bytes after this are higher-level protocol data. These normally look the
same as they'd look on Ethernet. Bridging packets include Ethernet/802.3 MAC
headers; no other packets do.

HTH,
chris