RE: [nsp] release notes for 12.2(2)T?

From: David Sinn (dsinn@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 17:30:40 EDT

That is why they released a compressed image for the latest ones.

2500's were designed to run from flash, not from RAM. This was to save
money back when the first 2500's came out and RAM was VERY pricey
(separate of Cisco's price for memory... :)

You can compress the image and make it run from RAM, but you only have
16MB of DRAM to run from. (And unless you don't have the flash space to
begin with, it isn't normally recommended to have the 2500 run from RAM
anyways.)

Granted the basic images are in the reasonable category (the latest
12.2T -p- image is 9MB in uncompressed form), but the latest full
fledged images are quite a bit more then 16MB (14MB for IP+IPSEC), so
they are a total no-go. As a result Cisco decided to not release any of
the images for the 2500.

David