Re: [nsp] GEIP vs. GEIP+

From: Robert E. Seastrom (rs@seastrom.com)
Date: Sat Jun 16 2001 - 23:02:16 EDT

well, i've had experience with dot1q on a pa-fe-fx on a vip2-40(64m)
and dot1q on a geip+. under both 12.0(13-17)S and 12.1(7)E.

for the pa-fe-fx, you can type "ip route-cache distributed" under
12.0()S and it sticks, but it doesn't actually make any difference in
the cpu utilization on the rsp. going to 12.1(7)E fixed that.

so i swapped out the vip2-40/pa-fe-fx for a geip+. net throughput
dropped from 90-92 mbps (under normal conditions) to 75 mbps (there's
a news server on the far end of the switch). sporadic packet loss.
running a 1pps ping with 1460 byte packets to a host on a different
vlan on the same interface (not the news server) about 98% of the
packets made it through ok. when packet loss happened it was usually
two packets at a crack, and then it was ok for a while. lather,
rinse, repeat.

i'm currently back on 12.0(17)S, with the news server non-trunked on
an extra geip+ (the on-site spare). this cuts back drasticly on the
amount of traffic on the trunked geip+, so no packet loss (between the
same two hosts as before).

have dcef turned on on both geip+es, but the cpu utilization is still
noticeably higher than when i was running dot1q on a pa-fe-tx. there
are some folks in nz that i'm aware with who have a case open with the
tac on a very similar problem (talking to a 2948g).

so now i'm kind of torn; i'm not sure i want to go playing with
12.1()T unless there are specific representations that dot1q problems
have been addressed. word on the street is that 12.2 should be kept
away from production equipment (which would have been my instinct
anyway).

thoughts? you're always the voice of reason and clue here siva, want
to venture a guess on this one?

                                        ---rob