[nsp] oddities on bridge irb

From: Marius Strom (marius@marius.org)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 11:04:26 EDT

Folks,
I'm running into an odd issue on 12.0.7T (c4000-i-mz.120-7.T.bin) on a
Cisco 4000. I've got a number of DSL customers provisioned on BVI
interfaces, and since upgrading from 11.3.6 (c4000-is40-mz_113-6.bin)
I've had an issue with one DSL customer on a bridge group.

When I look at the arp tables for his BVI when it's working, I see a
normal arp cache. Periodically, after about 2-3 hours, his BVI stops
routing packets and all hosts on his network come up as incomplete in
the show ip arp output. Clearing the arp-cache does not resolve the
problem.

I can configure and delete the bridge-group, then re-create it and the
problem goes away for about the next two hours.

No other customers are having any kinds of problems since the upgrade
except this one. "show bridge # [verbose|group]" look normal just like
the rest of the BVI's configured on the box, and the only thing of note
is that his Serial subinterface is Port 31 (this isn't really much, but
I've seen some Cisco Bug's that have ports > 32 don't work, so this is
port 32 if it starts at port 0.. It's a stab, and it's really dark in
here)

Really strange problem. I've yet to reload the router to see if that
stabilizes things, and that is one of my next steps. Following that,
I'll reluctantly go to 12.1.9 to see what happens there. Going back to
the 11.x train is not an option. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

--
Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator

It is a natural law. Physics tells us that for every action, there must be an
equal and opposite reaction. They hate us, we hate them, they hate us back and
so, here we are, victims of mathematics.
-- Londo, "A Voice in the Wilderness I"