RE: PVLAN on 2924-LRE

From: Stefan.Gasteiger@Gendorf.de
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 00:29:29 EDT

The LRE product line basically consists of three products:
* the 2924-XL-EN-LRE Switch (4 x 10/100 ports + 24 LRE ports
  via telco connector)
* a central splitter (48 ports to the pbx, 48 ports to the
  LRE switch, 48 ports to the CPEs)
* the CPE (1 port for ethernet, 1 port to the splitter,
  1 port to the phone)

pc -----I I-- PBX
        ---I I
           CPE----(1 pair of copper)---splitter
        ---I I
phone --I I-- LRE Switch

the LRE switch internally uses VDSL to archive data rates up to
15 mbps full duplex over 1 pair of copper.

For details have a look at:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/si/casi/ca2900lr/prodlit/index.shtml

AFAIK the list prices are:
6495 USD for the 2924 LRE
280 USD for the CPE
1395 USD for the splitter

here are the results of my tests:
1. At 1400 meters cable length you get about 600 KByte/s
   At 800 meters about 950 KByte/s
   I didn't test shorter cables, but you should get
   about 1400 KByte/s below 700 meters or so.
   cable lengths over 1400 meters didnt work.
2. no automatic rate adaption, you'll have to
   use the interface command "lre profile xxxx"
   to set a lower speed if connection fails
3. there are 6 lre profiles
   15-LRE
   10-LRE
   5-LRE
   15-LRE-LL
   10-LRE-LL
   5-LRE-LL
   I don't know what the "LL" means, but I found out, that
   you get higher data rates with the LL profiles
4. Analogous phone and data on the same pair of copper
   works fine. ISDN should work. I tested it, but didn't
   get it running :-(
5. Nice diagnostics with "sh contr lre ..."

Overall it seems to run quite stable.

Thanks again to Cisco for early possibility to the LRE stuff!

Stefan Gasteiger