Re: [nsp] Cisco GSR 12416 vs Juniper M160

From: Charles Sprickman (spork@inch.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 00:00:37 EDT

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, George Robbins wrote:

> Yawn, make the focus narrow enough and you can make a VW sound better
> than a Porsche. Do you know any ISP's that can max out a GSR or M160
> with just VOIP or Video or really care that much about prioritization?
>
> It might make a better pitch for Sprint or a carrier-class provider.

Not just that, but isn't the following just reflecting the kind of bad
engineering that no one would really recommend in the real world?

"Next, we added three separate ingress streams of 45 percent of the
theoretical maximum rate of 1500-byte packets. This caused an
over-subscription on the egress interface and forced the SUT to discard
some traffic. We recorded the results for all eight traffic streams. We
then enabled queuing features and applied high priority to the first
five streams and low priority to the remaining traffic streams. We reran
the tests and recorded the results."

This text is from the fine print on page 2, and your average CTO weenie is
just going to look at the graph on page 1, not realizing it represents
results from an over-subscribed egress interface.

I mean, yes, they are testing QoS (and not much else), but do most people
engineer a network designed for voice and video like this??

If you're relying on QoS to save your ass, then I guess the Cisco is a
good choice. But maybe the money you save by buying a juniper lets you
invest in higher capacity circuits so you don't need QoS :)

Charles