Re: [nsp] MPLS & VLAN w/IBM Mainframe

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Jul 29 2001 - 17:14:41 EDT

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 10:01:56PM -0400, William Devine, II wrote:
> A prospect is looking to partition some resources from their IBM 390 to
> use in testing some mail/web services on it (currently just accounting
> apps are used.) In doing so, they need to be able to isolate the
> partition to the lab's VLAN (all cisco network.) Currently the IBM is
> operating as one big 'server' as far as tcp/ip is concerned. I'm just
> curious to if this is possible? IE does the IBM have the capability of
> understanind the VLAN tags and send only to a specific partition? (I
> don't expect to get a response from our IBM contact until mid next week
> and I'm kind of pre-researching it.)

I think there's some confusion between VLAN (802.1q or ISL) and MPLS
VPN. It sounds like you really want to do 802.1q or ISL (probably the
former) with the IBM box, rather than sending it packets with MPLS
labels, which would require the IBM box to have something lie an
rfc2547 implementation. I don't know if the 390 does 802.1q or not;
best you hear from IBM.....

eric