[nsp] Questions with our Test-bed experiments

From: Ray M. Chang (cmr@sktelecom.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 03:34:18 EDT

Hello network guys,

Experimenting with our Cisco-Routers based testing, we have been faced with an abnormal phenomenon.
A brief configuration of the test-bed is as follows:

SB ====== GSR1 ------ GSR2 ----- GSR3 ======== SB

We have injected 200Mbps from SmartBits into GSR 12000 with two FastEthernet interfaces
and made it flow through the GSRs connected with OC-3 PoS interfaces.
Then, the final throughput of the network (consisting of 3 GSRs) resulted in over 90% of 200Mbps,
i.e., 180Mbps, which cannot be understood. How could the network send 180Mbps with
OC-3 PoS interfaces? We have inquired this to SmartzBits and get answered that there
must have been some kind of compression or something in the routers. But we don't still
understand exactly how come this can be happened. Can anyone help me understand this?
FYI, the GSRs are incorporated with engine type 1. Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Ray