Re: [nsp] MPLS VPNs over TE Tunnels

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 19:00:42 EDT

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:01:11PM -0400, Martin, Christian wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Is it possible to build MPLS VPNs without using TDP/LDP?

Yup; works fine.

> IE, if you are
> using RSVP signalled LSPs, will IOS signal VPN label info in BGP?

Yes. BGP and however you derive your "IGP label(s)" are completely
independent.

Up until fairly recently, you needed to configure TDP or LDP on the TE
tunnel to bring up a [TL]DP session with the tunnel tail. Why?
Because we were treating the TE tunnel like any other outgoing
interface, and needed to learn an implicit null label for the tunnel
tail, via the tunnel. This was fixed somewhere around 16ST; I don't
have the bug ID offhand, but can dig it up if you're interested.

But once you do that, everything works fine.

eric