[nsp] loopback interface metric in OSPF

From: Jack Seo (jackseo@ibrglobal.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 21:03:27 EDT

Hi, guys.

I'm using 4 Cisco routers ( 7507. 12410 ) and 4 Juniper routers ( M40, M20) for our border routers.

and we're running OSPF for IGP and IBGP . some time ago , I found our routing system went crazy when I tried to run
my new router ( GSR) with old routers . I have not looked over ospf database in detail until then.
so I found the cause makes network problem . that was loopback interface metric .
by default , in Juniper loopback interface's ospf metric is 0 , but as you know in cisco , its default metric is 1 .

and that is impossible to make cisco router's loopback interface ospf cost 0 .
in my opnion , juniper's config is right . becuase there is no real bandwidth for loopback interface .
but. I don't understand why cisco gives that interface 8000000 Kbit bandwidth .

I think there are many guys using juniper routers and cisco ones like me .
so you guys , did you configure juniper;s loopback interface ospf metric 1 for the routing balance with cisco routers ?

Jack Seo - Technical Support Engineer

IBR Inc. NPIX DataCenter -AS9777
Office : 82-2-2140-2720
C.P : 82-017-726-1417