Re: [nsp] 5 minute output rate 84000 bits/sec, 81 packets/sec

From: Robert E. Seastrom (rs@seastrom.com)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 10:20:15 EDT

"pankaj" <pankaj@worldgatein.net> writes:

> What does it exactly mean . Is it per second data transfer or is it average
> of data transfer for 5minutes.

It is a weighted average, not a straight arithmetic mean. For 5
minutes, the number is often confusing. Try "load-interval 30" as an
interface configuration command to tighten this interval up to 30
seconds.

> If it is average of 5min than is there any way to get exactly per second
> data transfer on serial port

You could grab inOctets and outOctets out of the router with SNMP once
a second. This is probably not what you want to do, since it would
put a bit of a load on the box and you would have to apply smoothing
(averaging) to those samples in order to get anything that looked like
a line on a graph. Of course if you make your sampling quantum small
enough, utilization will always be either 0% or 100%. I'm also not
sure how often the SNMP counters are updated, but even if they're
constantly updated I can't imagine any good coming from looking at them
more often than once every 10-15 seconds.

                                        ---Rob