RE: [nsp] 1000baseT GBIC

From: Mikael Abrahamsson (swmike@swm.pp.se)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:55:25 EST

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Clinton Work wrote:

> My feeling is that the WS-G5482 1000baseT GBIC will ONLY work in a Catalyst
> 2900XL or 3500XL switch. There isn't an equivalent 1000baseT GBIC for either
> the 7500 or 12000 product line.
>
> The Cisco 12000 and Catalyst 6500 GBICs appear to be identical. I have
> swapped the GSR and Catalyst GBICs in the past without any issues.
>
> I'm not certain about the 7500 GBICs.

Normally, a GBIC is a GBIC is a GBIC. The only thing that should really
matter is the amount of heat it gives off. Normally this is in the few
Watts range.

That's the only reason I have been given so far why a 1000baseT GBIC might
not work, that there are heat reasons.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se