Re: Purchasing used Cisco Equipment

From: Dave Spencer (dspencer@nightfall.forlorn.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 18:49:56 EST

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 12:22:39PM -0500, Vinny India wrote:
> Has anyone been through the exercise of purchasing used cisco equipment
> from a bankrupt company at auction. If so what is the process. How
> difficult is it to get License and Maintenance agreements for this
> equipment. My cisco rep mentioned some kind of re-certification process
> before being able to get license and Maintenance contracts. If anyone has
> been through this before, I would be interested in what obstacles you have
> ran into.

Yep, we've been through this recently. It's fairly painless as long as
you're willing to:

(1) Pay the price for the maintenance contract in question
(2) Pay the price for IOS licence for the box
(3) Pay about a few $thousand for an on-site, service-affecting inspection
    and certification of the box - Global Service will have a service
    technician visit the site in question (yours or wherever you may have
    installed the box) and make sure it works. As part of that inspection
    they'll want to have enable access, and will want to reboot it.

-Dave

--
Dave Spencer KF6PKU               "If USENET is anarchy, IRC is a paranoid
dspencer@forlorn.net                 schizophrenic after 6 days on speed."