Re: Switching Advice

From: Nimesh Vakharia (nvakhari@clio.rad.sunysb.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 21:39:30 EST

While we are on this topic, I was wondernig if anyone has seen the
following on the old version of the Cisco 65xx IOS where there was a CatOS
and IOS for management.

for eg:

Lab-6500# (enable) sh trunk 2/5

* - indicates vtp domain mismatch
Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
-------- ----------- ------------- ------------ -----------
 2/5 nonegotiate dot1q trunking 98

Port Vlans allowed on trunk
--------
 2/5 98

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
--------
 2/5 98

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
--------
 2/5 98

If the 'Native vlan' and 'Vlans allowed on trunk' are the same the 802.1q
encapsulation fails and this config does not work. I remember reading
about this on Cisco's site but cannot recall the details. Obviously
Murphy's Law, I cannot find that document.
Anyone know why, it had something to do with Spanning tree running on
Native vlan which therefore might require it to be a non trunk on that
vlan or somethign along those lines.

thanks,

Nimesh.