Re: [nsp] ICMP Unreachable and CEF

From: Steven W. Raymond (steven_raymond@eli.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 13:34:23 EST

I disagree. "icmp unreachable" messages' purpose is to inform the
sender that the next-hop is not available. Routing a packet to an
interface which lacks an IP address should indeed generate an ICMP
unreachable message back to the sender. Thankfully Cisco allows us to
turn this off with "no ip unreachables" on a per-interface basis.
But this behavior seems to be an intrinsicly useful feature of ICMP, and
without being very familiar with the author's intentions, I feel safe in
assuming that is what they designed it to do.
At least one use of icmp unreachables is helping to identify ingress
points of certain spoofed-source address DOS attacks.