Re: [nsp] 12.2T and 4500/4700?

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 18:37:58 EST

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 08:42:00PM +0100, KF wrote:
> as I can see they trying to rid-off them from release process..
> have a lot others to support ... as 2500 etc... hmmm

Maybe. While I can understand that, the thing that really annoys me is
the combination of "no more support in 12.2T" and "IPv6 was promised for
12.1".

Releasing IPv6 then would have made our 4700 a perfectly valid router
for IPv4/v6 low-bandwidth customer aggregation, what they are doing well.

Releasing IPv6 in the same train as dropping support for certain hardware
families means "throw out all those boxes". From a "we want to sell new
boxes" point of view, this makes sense, but from a "customers are annoyed
and go shopping elsewhere *already*" perspective it is a stupid move.

> anyway... I want them... for good price... if they have FE I'd welcome
> them in my personal lab..

I'm not really free to sell them (would have to check for an official OK),
this was more like trying to be sarcastic about cisco product policy.
They do not have FE, btw, just NP-2E, NP-4T, NP-8B-S/T.

> p.s. Your software account manager SUXX........

Yes.

> perhaps you wanted it for free... and they don't like that... somehow
> they are working at marketing place...

We didn't even reach the "how much does it cost" part. He wrote "it's not
supported, period, go away, I'm not even going to ask anyone whether we
can change that".

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de