[nsp] Few questions about ATM connections and ATM Traffic-Shapping

From: Tommy (tomek@absolut.vinyl.pl)
Date: Thu Apr 04 2002 - 09:00:38 EST

Hello

I have customer connected to my network via ATM OC3 card. Interface
configuration on my Cisco:

!
interface ATM0/0/1
 no ip address
 no shutdown
!
interface ATM0/0/1.1
 description 4mbit/s to CUSTOMER
 bandwidth 4000
 ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
 no shutdown
 pvc 1 30/100
  ubr 4000
  oam-pvc manage
  encapsulation aal5snap
 !
!

The network diagram:

[ MY CISCO ] OC3 [ ]
[ ATM0/0/1 ] <---------> [ CUSTOMER ]
[ 10.10.10.1 ] [ 10.10.10.2 ]

And now I have few questions according this configuration:

1) Is any diffrence in using CBR instead of UBR
   in PVC configuration ? I think that 155mbps OC3 link can guarante
   in 100% 4mbit/s traffic. But CBR looks better...

2) Is any _good_ method to calculate Cell Rate for IP
   Mbit/s ? For example I'd like to calculate what Cell Rate is
   "true" 4mbit/s of IP packets for ATM PVC circut with
   aal5snap encapsulation ?

3) The cell rate set by CBR/UBR command on my PVC is only responsable
   for outbound traffic (packets transmitted to Customer) ? If
   yes, Can I traffic-shape inbound traffic (packtes transmitted from
   Customer) on this PVC ? Maybe some QOS rate-limit command ?

4) If between My router and Customer's router will
   be added ATM Switch. Where traffic-shaping must be done ? Still on
   Routers or only on ATM switch ? Or maybe on Routers and ATM Switch ?

best regards, Tom