Re: [nsp] Web interception & wccp

From: Adrian Bool (aid@u.net.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 01 1998 - 09:25:19 EDT

Hi Alex,

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Anyone care to give me a definitive answer on these two? I thought I remember
> someone (Cisco?) saying they did at least one:
>
> 1. Support of transparent HTTP interception to proxy/cache boxes other
> than Cisco web cache boxes.

Well, normal policy routing will do it. I've been trying it out with the
Cacheflow box (the best I've found yet). As you can imagine there are a
few problems with this,

  * No fast switching unless you are running really new code. I've got
past this by puttine the filtering right on the access routers (AS5300s)
which weren't fast switching anyway due to tcp header compression.

  * The access list is still in operation even if the cachebox dies. If
you just have a router and the cache, bye bye Mr Web.

  * The router will only pass the data to a single IP address - does not
do anything fancy like in WCCP where it will distrubute teh destination
sites across mitilples caches.

The last two problems should be solvable by teh use fo an Alteon or
Foundry Layer-4 switch - although I've not doen that myself yet - that is
for next week ;-)

> 2. Support of parent / sibbling boxes from Cisco cache boxes which
> are non-Cisco (i.e. ICP support).

A new cerson of the Cache software is coming out that should support ICP.
I was told a new version hit the UK on Thursday, although I don't know if
that particular version does do the ICP...

> [1] would be staggeringly useful, not that the Cisco protocol looks
> like a hard decode job.

I think more of a legal probelm ;-) I have been told that cisco are now
thinking about RFC'ing WCCP - in which case support for that protocol
would be put in the Cacheflow boxes at least (and most others I would
imagine.)

> If they are about, in what IOS versions?

I've done it in both 11.1(18) on the 7500 (until perfomance died due to
processor switching) and then on teh 5300s running 11.2(14)P.

If you do find out anythign really intersting about the cache boxes I'd
love to hear,

Cheers,

aid

--
Adrian J Bool			| http://www.noc.u-net.net/
Network Manager			| tel://44.1925.484461/