Re: [nsp] Load balancing with OSPF

From: brad (brad@poofy.tbn.tm)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 18:33:00 EDT

> I don't believe this is possible. I have researched the subject - although
> it was about 6 months ago - and the only way I could find to do *automatic*
> unequal cost load balancing was EIGRP. You can do the manual thing by
> routing specific subnets out each interface and only advertise certain
> networks out each interface to control inbound flows, but that's not very
> adaptive.

proprietary routing protocols are very adaptive. just don't throw the bln
on the network.

> BTW, if you do decide to use load balancing, I *highly* recommend
> flow-switching. Otherwise your load balancing can get a bit... uneven. ;)
> Even with flow-switching, you'll find it's not perfect. I hear you can do
> per-packet load balancing with DCEF and not hit your main proc, but I
> haven't tried it. Does anyone know if that will kill the VIP proc? And if
> so, what rate will it handle?

I don't understand what the obsession with per-packet load balancing
is and why people have such a hard time understanding how a 4 tuple
load share hash(<source,sport,dest,destport>) could be uneven. In
case you haven't noticed, you are selling a bursty service. Since you
asserted that netflow switching is the best crisco has to offer, it
is quite possible that you haven't noticed. As for dCEF, read the docs
at cisco.. they tend to explain things so you don't have to ask questions.

Frank "the font of all cisco knowledge" Rizzo
CCIE #1023