Re: [nsp] BGP route serving...

From: Bradley Reynolds (brad@iagnet.net)
Date: Tue Jul 14 1998 - 12:06:31 EDT

> ### On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 01:31:51 +1000 (EST), "Terence C. Giufre-Sweetser"
> ### <terry@tdce.com.au> wrote to cisco-nsp@qual.net concerning "[nsp] BGP
> ### route serving...":
>
> TCG-S> Any way of making a cisco router NOT prepend it's AS on EBGP
> TCG-S> announcements, to act a route server a la RSd?
>
> Please note that although you might be able to do this (I'm not enough of a
> Cisco expert) with a rewrite rule or something, you will not necessarily
> achieve the full functionality of RSd. What you will get is a
> route-reflector.
>
> As far as I know and someone correct me if I'm mistaken, a Cisco does not
> maintain multiple best active routes to a destination seperately for each
> peer. RSd for example may proporgate 1.2.3/24 with a NextHop of
> 192.168.10.123 to peer A but depending on how the policy works out, it can
> also simultaneously propogate 1.2.3/24 with a NextHop of 192.168.10.234 to
> peer B. The Cisco will instead propogate the same NextHop to all peers.

The only functionality that cisco has is bgp multipath support
where the same prefix/length pair learned from an external AS with
different next hops will both be installed in the routing table
and then j.random load sharing takes over.

This doesn't support the same prefix/length being learned from
different AS and being installed in the rib at the same time
(which I think was the functionality you were leaning towards)

BR