Re: [nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Amir Tabdili (atabdili@sprint.net)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 00:30:32 EDT

Hi,

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Jon Lewis wrote:

> I'm about to grow what's been primarily a LAN into a WAN over the next few
> weeks. Instead of just one POP, I'm going to have several remote POPs
> connected via frame relay to the main one (home POP). I've been using
> OSPF on the LAN at the home POP, and BGP between the home POP and its
> upstream connections. I'm trying to decide what IGP to use on the WAN
> now.
>
> The options I'm considering are OSPF and iBGP. I think I'd rather go
> with iBGP. I plan to continue to use OSPF on the home POP LAN, and will
> probably use it at each remote POP, but I'm not sure if I want to try it
> over WAN connections.

iBGP is not really an IGP. You are better off running both OSPF (or ISIS)
and IBGP on the WAN.

> The biggest objection I have with BGP is that BGP really wants to be fully
> meshed, or I'll have to setup a router (probably a home pop) to be a route
> reflector. If I do run OSPF at each LAN, but use iBGP between POPs, then
> I will probably have to carefully export OSPF into BGP.

If you are only OSPF or only IBGP you are going to have a "redistribution"
nightmare...I recommend running both...Carry your customers routes in BGP
and you backbone routes in your IGP of choice.

best,
Amir