Re: [nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Niels Bakker (niels@euro.net)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 06:55:42 EDT

Jon,

I assume you want OSPF to be able to use redundant links and to allow
customers with static IP addresses to dial into different POPs at
different times while still keeping their IP address.

> The options I'm considering are OSPF and iBGP. I think I'd rather go
> with iBGP. I plan to continue to use OSPF on the home POP LAN, and will
> probably use it at each remote POP, but I'm not sure if I want to try it
> over WAN connections.

Why not? It's an IGP, IGPs aren't limited to one location, only to one
administration. You use BGP to announce yourself to the world

> reflector. If I do run OSPF at each LAN, but use iBGP between POPs, then
> I will probably have to carefully export OSPF into BGP.

Why?!

Here we have the following setup:

        - Network: cisco. At the POPs, we have a hub (or switch)
          connecting the cisco on our backbone to PM2s and PM3s, and
          possibly other hardware (customer leased lines etc.)
        - the ciscos generally run OSPF. The PM3s all do, the PM2s don't,
          mostly due to memory limitations (16 MB vs. 1 MB in the latest
          batch we ordered...). The ciscos have 'redistribute static
          subnets' under 'router ospf'.

How do we use OSPF? We use it for customers with a static IP address -
like batched SMTP and other business accounts (subnet routing). If a
company logs in with an analogue modem on a PM2 we add a static route on
the cisco with the PM2 as the next hop, else we let OSPF handle it by
itself on the PM3.

EuroNet, based in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, has multiple redundant links
to the outside world. We're present at MAE-East and MAE-West and have an
E3 to WorldCom (UUnet - not NLnet) in Amsterdam. Our backbone consists of
a big fuckin' router at the center in Amsterdam, with most backbone
connections - to the US, to UUnet, to various other Internet exchanges
(DE-CIX in Germany, AMS-IX at the other end of the town, LINX in London,
and via our office in Belgium to the BNIX), and the circuits to the POPs
attached to it. All border routers are fully-meshed BGP speakers. All
other routers speak OSPF.

Yesterday we received a new VIP2 card and were able to move the
connections to a few cities from asd-gw1 to asd-bfr with no
reconfiguration except doing a 'no shutdown' and 'ip unnumbered Loopback0'
on the interfaces and switching the cables.

You don't outline what hardware you will have at the remote POPs. If you
want some free advice: let cisco handle leased lines, and stick with
whatever you have for dialup hardware.

That way you can even whore yourself to cisco and get a free 'cisco
partner / powered by' button to put on your homepage.

Take care,

--
Niels Bakker,                          * *      EuroNet Internet BV
Network Operations                   *     *    Herengracht 208-214