Re: [nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Danny McPherson (danny@genuity.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 01:28:25 EDT

> Still I don't see the use for different areas. As far as I know it's not
> possible to summarize routes between different areas and only announce the
> summary upward, unless you make it a not-so-stubby area. Am I missing
> something? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One of the primary purposes for the creation of OSPF areas was to provide a
mechanism that allows for route summarization between areas so that intra-area
route oscillation doesn't effect the entire routing domain.

The OSPF subordinate command "area [area-id] range [address mask]" is used for
inter-area summarization. The OSPF subordinate "summary-address [address
mask]" command is used for external route summarization (i.e., redistribution).

A search for OSPF on Cisco's CCO server should yield some useful results..

-danny