Re: [nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Danny McPherson (danny@genuity.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 10:22:06 EDT

> I can't seem to get that working either. On RTA, I put
> area 1 range 209.212.145.0 255.255.255.0
>
> with the idea that RTA would receive 209.212.145.0/24 and subnets within
> 209.212.145.0/24 from RTB, and RTA would tell the rest of area 0 only
> about 209.212.145.0/24. What I get is RTA tells the rest of area 0 about
> an inter-area route for 209.212.145.0/24 as well as E2 subnet routes for
> subnets within 209.212.145.0/24.
>
> While poking around in the router ospf subcommands, I did find something
> very interesting. Cisco OSPF supports distribute lists which may be
> applied to input or output per interface. That may be the only way I can
> get what I want out of OSPF. i.e. On RTB, I put
> distribute-list 1 in Serial0
> and an access-list 1 that denies all. This stops all the area 0 subnet
> routes from getting into area 1. I could do similar things on RTA...but
> this doesn't seem the right way to get what I want.

Nope.. As previously mentioned, the "area range" command only summarizes
intra-area routes (e.g., routes that were originated as a result of OSPF being
enabled on an interface).

When redistributing into OSPF, the router becomes an ASBR and all
redistributed routes are considered external to the AS (External Type 2, by
default). For this reason, if you wish to summarize the redistributed routes
you must use the "summary-address" command on the router where the
redistribution is occurring.

You should also note that E2 routes only take into account the external
metric. If you wish for the sum of the internal and external metric to be
used you must specify that Type 1 be used:

lab1-7513(config-router)#redistribute static subnets metric-type ?
  1 Set OSPF External Type 1 metrics
  2 Set OSPF External Type 2 metrics

You should have a look at the OSPF design tips on CCO for a more detailed
explanation.

-danny