Re: [nsp] Using Cisco routers for layer 2

From: Jonathan Hartford (jon@outland.net)
Date: Mon Dec 22 1997 - 19:45:04 EST

> I've seen how it's possible to use a cisco to build pvc between ports.
> But is it possible to cross a chassis with these pvc's? If someone has
> done this before, please comment on the stability and usage.
>
> Thanks,
> --Ben Kirkpatrick

You're being a too vague on the implementation here, so you'll only
recieve vague opinions in reply. :)

Are you talking about passing _all_ level 2 traffic between two cisco
devices? Are these devices directly connected, or connected with
perhaps a Telco?

What kind of devices are we talking about? Hubs? Switches? Catalysts and
the like will certainly pass L2 between chassis(s). Just hook them together
with whatever medium is preferred. Example: You could use a Null-Ethernet
cable, and you'll get L2 protocol across boxes.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here, and guess you're talking routers,
since Hubs/Switches natively do what you're asking about.

I'm going to take another guess, and bet you're not really concerned about
passing _all_ traffic between two boxes, as that would be a pretty huge
waste. At the very least, most cisco routers are capable of being as smart
as a bridge, and it would be silly to waste that ability.

If you're in a situation with a protocol that scales fairly well, like IP,
routing that protocol, rather than some form of bridging, would probably
provide superior performance. Maybe thats not what you're looking for.

That would leave you wanting to pass say, a protocol that does not route,
like say, NetBEUI. You're pretty much stuck with an ugly solution there,
imnsho. You can do things like encapsulate it over a routable protocol,
like TCP/IP, or you can make the cisco devices act as bridges. There
are many types of bridges, and I couldn't begin to answer your question
as to specifics without more information.

Try grabbing a CD, and wandering through the bridging commands. Or you
can post to this list with a significant detail, and perhaps you'll recieve
the examples you were looking for in this message. :)

I speak for me.

   Jon Hartford