[nsp] Cisco Recommended Filters

From: Tom (tom@iconnections.net)
Date: Fri Jan 02 1998 - 19:38:39 EST

Cisco Guru's:

There has been a good amount of discussion on these lists the last few
months in regards to what filters NSP's and ISP's have applied to their
core and edge routers, to prevent smurfs and other various DoS attacks.

Is there a set of recommended filters that one would/should apply? Could
you share your examples with proper syntax as well? What I am looking for
is like a rule set 101 that should be applied and than perhaps some more
complex examples with definition.

Our situation is as follows:

2 Ten meg pipes to upstreams, MCI and another to be determined, two 7513's,
running BGP upstream carrying our class B, behind the 7513's are two
Checkpoint FW's protecting the DMZ and corp side of the network. What I am
looking for are some examples so people can't flood our pipes out/in to our
upstreams that we should apply to our 7513's.

I was wondering if anyone has captured these in one place, and if so, could
someone provide the URL? If there isn't a web site, perhaps someone has
captured the discussion and can forward me the Emails that have passed by?

Appreciate the help and thanks in advance!

Tom
tom@iconnections.net