Re: [nsp] about routing

From: Todd Nagengast - Systems Wrangler (tsgd@alaska.net)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 20:55:13 EST

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Tatsuya Kawasaki wrote:

> Dear Cisco users and ISP,
>
> I am wondering if any of you, as always, give me any suggestion
> about how to create equal network load if there is
> two cisco's which are connected with two leased lines.
>
> Cisco A s0 <------> Cisco B so
> Cisoc A s1 <------> Cisco B s1
>
> and say, on the LAN port of Cisco A has NAS(s).
>
> My task is to distrubute even traffic over two leased lines.
>
> I know static will not do it. I don' think OSPF won't either.
>
> I don't think iBGP does it?

I can't speak for any of the other methods with empirical data, but I can
tell you that for a true split the bits bandwidth type of load sharing,
eBGP doesn't seem to do a very good job. We're currently trying to do it
with UUnet over two FR T1s. The routes will get cached on the FR subinterface
and then all traffic for the cached route will go out that interface.
For our application, it is suboptimal. YMMV.

Once we have control of both routers, we're looking at EIGRP to do the
loadsharing.

Good luck,
Todd

---
Todd Nagengast /_\\//_\ Systems Wrangler v. 907.562.4638
tsgd@alaska.net \ //\\ / Internet Alaska, Inc. f. 907.562.1677
You're never too old to do goofy stuff. - Ward Cleaver
1024/DB3041FD BE 60 73 FE 61 C5 A4 F3 C8 13 3C 93 C8 63 1F 5C