Re: [nsp] about routing

From: Todd Nagengast - Systems Wrangler (tsgd@alaska.net)
Date: Wed Feb 04 1998 - 17:29:33 EST

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Dorian R. Kim wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 1998 at 04:55:13PM -0900, Todd Nagengast - Systems Wrangler wrote:
> > I can't speak for any of the other methods with empirical data, but I can
> > tell you that for a true split the bits bandwidth type of load sharing,
> > eBGP doesn't seem to do a very good job. We're currently trying to do it
> > with UUnet over two FR T1s. The routes will get cached on the FR subinterface
> > and then all traffic for the cached route will go out that interface.
>
> A mistake often made in looking at various way to load share/balance
> parallel links is that people assume that it's a routing protocol feature.

We're sadly well aware that it's not a feature. Unfortunately, when you
have limited means, you must try do things nature never intended.

> The per-packet load sharing done in D/CEF is probably what folks are
> looking for, but it has a draw back in the sense that it can cause out of
> order packet arrivals and compromise the end to end performance.

Do you have any links to some specific documentation on this?

Thanks,
Todd

---
Todd Nagengast /_\\//_\ Systems Wrangler v. 907.562.4638
tsgd@alaska.net \ //\\ / Internet Alaska, Inc. f. 907.562.1677
You're never too old to do goofy stuff. - Ward Cleaver
1024/DB3041FD BE 60 73 FE 61 C5 A4 F3 C8 13 3C 93 C8 63 1F 5C