Re: [nsp] output buffers swapped out

From: Danny McPherson (danny@genuity.net)
Date: Fri Mar 06 1998 - 11:11:32 EST

> Does anyone know what a very high rate of "output buffers swapped out"
> on a serial link (E1) means?
>
> (Router is a 7507 with FSIP controller and IOS RSP-JSV-M Version 11.2(9))

If I'm not mistaken, if "transmit-buffers backing-store" is enabled on the
interface and there's insufficient bandwidth to immediately transmit a packet,
the CPU will copy the packet to System buffers and will increment the "output
buffer swapped out" counter. Then if sufficient bandwidth exists to transmit
the packet before system buffers are full, it won't be dropped.

-danny