Re: [nsp] Frame service providers.

From: Dean Morstad (dean@spacestar.net)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 15:24:31 EST

<LURK MODE=OFF>

I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but US West has their
!Nterprise division that has been very responsive to our Frame Relay
services. Sometimes I get a call from their office before I get a chance
to call them. I get calls from them if a customer reboots a router and
it's down for longer than 4 minutes. I also get really great service
whenever I call their service line (1-800-227-2218 know it by heart ;)

However, dealing with the billing department at US West is a nightmare,
but not more so than any other bloated telco.

Recently, we have been dealing with a new telco provider (OCI
Communications - http://www.ocicom.com) that has remarkable customer
service, knowledgable sales staff and top notch CO techs.

Just my $.02

-Dean

<LURK MODE=ON>

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Subodh Nijsure wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Several questions about frame relay providers...
>
> 1. Is there some kind of "report" that rates the MCI/WorldCom, AT&Ts of the
> world, in terms of their service, pro-activeness about managing their own
> network etc?
>
> 2. For two weeks I have been dealing with a flapping frame relay
> link and every time I call in about the line, people at provider would do
> burst test on the line and say 'line looks fine to me' and suggest that
> we replace the remote Cisco routers!! I haven't worked with the frame relay
> switch on provider side, isn't there way for these people find out if a
> particular DLCI has been flapping?? I have given them all messages from
> syslog pointing at times when DLCI was deleted and became active again etc.
>
> 3. Is there any frame-relay service provider that would call, e-mail, page YOU,
> the customer when a line goes down and inform you that -- yes we know line
> is down, and we are working on it? In last six months I have seen many
> instances, where a DLCI was down for hours and when you call these
> providers, they have NO idea about it...
>
> 4. If you had to re-design network with 17 remote (7 international) offices
> what frame provider would you prefer and stay away from?
>
> /Subodh
> p.s.
> [ I know this is not *exactly* cisco-nsp type question, but I imagine i
> will find lots of experienced people here... ]

Dean Morstad Spacestar Communications
Systems Administrator A Division of Firmware of MN, Inc.
dean@spacestar.net 9531 W. 78th St
http://www.spacestar.net Eden Prairie, MN 55344
http://www.morstad.org 612.996.0000