Re: [nsp] Is a FEIP2 capable of wire speed under any circumstances?

From: Mike Leber (mleber@he.net)
Date: Sun Sep 13 1998 - 20:14:37 EDT

No, we are not running CAR.

We are running 11.1.17CC. We have also tried running 11.1.17CA.

With 11.1.17CC we have tried separately "ip route-cache optimum", "ip cef
switch", and "ip cef distributed switch".

We are not doing any rate limiting. We also are not using any access
lists.

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Edward Henigin wrote:

> You wouldn't happen to be running CAR or dCAR, would you?
>
> I've correlated the ignore counter to packets dropped due
> to exceeding a CAR rule....
>

> On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 01:32:58PM -0700, Mike Leber said:
>
> [...]
>
> > When we increase traffic to 65 Mbps in and 15 Mbps out (from about 55 Mbps
> > in and 10 Mbps out) on this specific interface we start seeing ignores
> > race along at the rate of several hundred per second (this translates to
> > packet loss). While this is happening we are not seeing buffer failures
> > or drops on the input or output queues of the other interfaces. That
> > makes no sense. Supposedly you should only see ignores when allocation of
> > buffer or queue space repeatedly fails. We do see throttled increasing
> > (sh cont cbus) (Normally it doesn't, of course).
>
> [...]

| Mike Leber Direct Internet Connections Voice 408 282 1540 |
| Hurricane Electric Web Hosting & Co-location Fax 408 971 3340 |
| mleber@he.net http://www.he.net |