Re: [nsp] Multilink PPP & BGP

From: Sean Butler (sebutler@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 10:06:29 EDT

>I have a customer with a T1 to us we run BGP with. They want to bring
>up a second T1, where both ends are terminated in to the same router on
>both sides. I'm looking at multilink PPP to allow one logical pipe, so
>I can peer with one logical IP address, so as to avoid the entire
>peering with loopbacks issue. Anyone see any problems with this? And am
>I correct in assuming this is an 11.2 feature? This may make the entire
>thing a moot point.
>
>-pete

We've had good luck with ebgp multihop, but then you do need to use
loopbacks...

We've also had good results setting bgp max-paths to 2 (or more). I
never have found a lot of documentation on it, but it does work. Here,
you'd have 2 separate eBGP peers (so you wouldn't have to use loopbacks).
The only issue with it is that it uses more memory than eBGP multihop,
since you'd have two copies of the routes-received... If that number
of routes is small - medium, it won't be a big deal. However, if you
send the full Internet routing table, then it may be! With max-paths
set higher than 1, BGP will send two routes to the route table, if the
routes are deemed the same... (Just use the same policy on both peers
and they will be the same!)

Sean
Sean Butler, CCIE #3897
IBM Global Services -- OpenNet Support