Simplex Satellite Links

From: Edward S. Desouza (edward_desouza@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 09:37:07 EDT

Hi,
 This is a question not related to Cisco, but Since
this problem ...but I thought I'd post it here all the
same.....
  We have a satellite link as follows :

One Downlink broadcast stream ( over 4 locations )
downlink 12 mbps
Four Uplink unicast streams ( 4 * 0.768 mbps )

I have configured transmit interfaces and everything
works fine except for one very peculiar problem:

When I open one FTP session ( to any server ) the max
download speed is 15 kBps. Using other links ( fibre )
of similar capacity, download speeds go upto 100 kBps
to the same FTP server.

If however, I open multiple FTP windows, each of the
FTp downloads goes to a max of 15 kBps.So I know that
the link is not congested.

I have connected to a quite a few common ftp servers
with similar results.

I was wondering if any guys out there have faced this
problem, and a possible solutin to the problem ???

Any comments/ suggestions would be really
appreciated.

Rgds,
Edward

I have tried downloading from a wide