Re: [nsp] get traffic counters on VLANs via SNMP

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 07:13:59 EDT

They're supposed to be there in 12.2(3) mainline, however there's nothing
in the "new features" document that says that they'll really support
byte counters. What would be implied is that they at least support
the packet counters that are visible in the "show vlan".

That's perhaps a bit awkward becuase they appear to be per internface,
per vlan, per protocol counters, but OTOH, they could be returned in
cisco's "OLD-CISCO-INTERFACES-MIB" without too much touble, but that
hasn't hasn't been expanded to return info on VLAN interefaces.

Whoever wrote the "new feautures" document was clearly someone without
too many clues trying to work with a style-sheet. It says very little,
the heading and expamples don't really speak to the point of the new
feature, it's abiguous whether dot1q and gig-e are along for the ride.

Anyway, maybe one of the Cisco folks could provide some perspective on
what's supposed to be there, or when?

                                                George