Re: [nsp] 1000baseT GBIC

From: José Domínguez (jad@network-services.uoregon.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 13:09:34 EST

On 11/02/2001 17:29 GMT, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can use the WS-G5482 1000baseT GBIC in anything
> other than a switch? The documentation says switch only, but it'd be far
> more useful if I could also use it in a PA-GE or a GSR GigE linecard.

Those little adapters are not real GBICs as we all know them. A normal
GBIC provides the optical interface for a gigabit card while all the
electrical components are in the card itself. This makes it easy to
provide different optics without changing the underlying electrical
behavior.

I have always seem the Cisco copper GBICs as a marketing plot and
it's very confusing. They only work on certain 35xx and 29xx switches
and nowhere else. I guess they have modified the underlying hardware
to support the copper GBICs.

Someone from Cisco might want to clear up the confusion ...

José.