Re: [f-nsp] When is the best BGP route not really the best?

From: Alex Rubenstein (alex@nac.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 07:53:04 EST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Aditya wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:20:00PM -0500, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> > When tracerouted to the above destination FROM THE FOUNDRY CLI, it works
>
> what source address do the packets have from the foundry cli?

Hmm, interesting question. When from the foundry CLI, it has a source
address of the IF closest to the destination.

However, if I trace using a source IP from the IF that is towards the host
I use when it goes incorrectly, it still goes correctly.

> > Any clues as to why the FIB would ignore the RIB?
>
> and a sh ip route to the dest addr on the foundry is consistent with the sh ip
> bgp output?

Yes, it is.

telnet@blah#sho ip ro 207.172.16.0
Total number of IP routes: 106315
      Network Address NetMask Gateway Port Cost Type
      207.172.0.0 255.255.0.0 207.x.97.34 1/3 0 B

> Adi
> (and although I'm ex-AS6079 I don't have any special insight into this
> case *grin*)

Well, AS6079 has nothing to do with this, really.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, alex@nac.net, latency, Al Reuben --
-- Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net --