Re: ServerIron & Sendmail

From: Clifton Royston (cliftonr@lava.net)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 15:14:09 EDT

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 01:42:15PM -0400, jeffrey arnold wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Dale Hege wrote:
>
> :: > The logic they explained to me is that because the ServerIrons function
> :: > as a switch not a router, they will never ever forward an Ethernet
> :: > packet back *out* the port it came *in* on, because that is verboten
> :: > for Ethernet switches. This applies even if it's rewriting the packet
> :: > for a virtual server, even if it should be delivering it to a separate
> :: > VLAN, etc. IMHO this is a design error but it's possible to live with.
> ::
> :: Hmm, these days they claim it works. ;)
> ::
>
> It does.

Are you talking about DSR or something else? The problem I am
describing - in which I saw similar problems to his with a similar
configuration to his - is a *completely* separate issue from DSR. In
that instance, the initial connection never got properly established to
the server in the first place, never mind about DSR. If you look at
the example network diagrams on configuring SLB in their manual, you
will note that they *all* show the first type of diagram I showed
above: real servers directly connected to ServerIron ports.

Are you actually running with the network configuration he illustrated,
or are you only speaking from theory? Unless they've changed it in the
last year or so, I believe it does not work in practice. (Well, I
think it *might* work if you configured all the servers as "remote"
servers, but then unless they've enhanced it recently, you end up
losing other important functionality, like dead server detection.)

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, as it's been a real pain to have
to limit their use this way.

> Use DSR. Don't believe the hype.
>
> You'll loose some functionality that requires the serveriron to see the
> entire flow, but overall DSR is a winner for its performance and
> flexibility.

That's not the issue. DSR does roughly double the throughput, if you
really need the high throughput. The issue is that he has a
configuration that does not work, and he needs to resolve why it
doesn't work.

The first step in troubleshooting should always be to reduce it to a
simpler situation, which is why I recommended taking out DSR while
troubleshooting, even though I've pointed to a different cause for the
problem.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
"What do we need to make our world come alive?