RE: M20 vs. M40

From: Robert O'Hara (rohara@juniper.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 11:33:27 EDT

Nicholas, like the M160, the M20 does have the option of adding a spare
routing-engine
and/or redundant switch fabric. M5, M10 and M40 do not have that option.

WRT failover, Juniper does support failover not only for the
routing-engine and the switch fabric hardware failures, but for the
routing-engine we support failover down to the
individual process level. For example, you can force a failover if the
'rpd' or
'snmpd' process dies. If you don't need or care for that level of
protection, you can
set it up to fail-over based on a watchdog timer mechanism we put into
the code.

Hope that helps.

Thank,

Bob O'Hara