Strange packet loss symptom exhibited in JunOS 5.2R1.4

From: Chris Roberts (croberts@bongle.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 10:05:29 EDT

ello,

I have an M5 and an M10 set up as follows:

     \ /
      o------o
      | |

o is an m5 or an m10
\/ are SONET links
-| is gigabit ethernet

i.e. a standard redundant pair. These two routers present a
common VRRP address to the gigabit LAN segment.
Now the strange thing I am seeing is that the M10 (5.2R1.4)
seems to exhibit packet loss in traceroutes. The M5 (5.1R2.4)
doesn't.

From an mtr (apologies in advance about the long lines
and router names removed to protect the not so innocent):

 1. y.y.y.y ???????????????????.???
 2. x.x.x.x .......................
 3. x.x.x.x .......................
 4. x.x.x.x .......................

where y.y.y.y is the M10.
I've messed around with this a bit, and it seems that this
router has a generic problem responding to traceroutes that
cross the gigabit interface. The wierd thing is that it's
intermittent, and seems to be load related.

Has anyone seem _anything_ like this before? In this case, the
testing above was done from a directly connected segment, so
I've tried the obvious like looking for the route to the
source flapping, etc, and currently have a case open with
the JTAC which doesn't seem to be progressing too rapidly.

Anyone got any points on how to debug/diagnose this on a
Juniper?

Cheers,

--