Re: protocol bgp group/neighbor local-preference

From: Kent Yu (kyu@opnet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 10:19:59 EDT

It works fine on our routers.

Kent

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard A Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>
To: <juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 11:29 PM
Subject: protocol bgp group/neighbor local-preference

Ok so, I see there is this lovely command to set local-preference at the
protocol bgp group/neighbor level, but it doesn't seem to work on routes
learned from eBGP peers, they all get the default local-pref of 100 no
matter what the setting.

I've been flipping through the docs trying to figure out if this is
intentional or not, but I can't find anything indicating that it would not
work on inbound eBGP routes. For example:

local-preference
-Preference to assign to routes learned from BGP or fromthe group or peer.
Range: 0 through 4,294,967,295 (232 -1)
Default: If the LOCAL_PREF path attribute is present, do not modify its
value. If a BGP route is received without a LOCAL_PREF attribute, the
route is handled locally (it is stored in the routing table and advertised
by BGP) as if it were received with a LOCAL_PREF value of 100. A non-BGP
route that is advertised by BGP is advertised with a LOCAL_PREF value of
100 by default.

All of which seems to indicate that it sets the value on eBGP learned
routes. Is there something I'm missing here? I like the control of policy
statements and all, but needing one for every neighbor that wants a
different default local-pref is just annoying.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras