RE: SONET APS and MPLS link protection

From: Aleksander Zawisza (zawisza@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 18:09:05 EDT

This is how I think it *should* work, and please correct me if I'm wrong....

If the SONET protection switch is successful, the MPLS layer will never know
or care that there was a SONET protection switch, and it doesn't need to
know that there SONET protection is configured. MPLS protection, or
re-routing at any layer higher than SONET, should only kick in if a link
fails, meaning that SONET protection was unsuccessful or not configured.
>From MPLS' point of view, SONET protection (or any other protection at the
transport level) is completely transparent.

You can provision both schemes at the same time. However, MPLS protection
will probably not be useful on a point to point link... MPLS protection will
be useful throughout your whole network where it can reroute around broken
and links nodes, while SONET protection will protect your point to point
links so that your MPLS protection doesn't even have to kick in.

Hope this helps,

Aleksander Zawisza
Nortel Networks, Juniper Global Technical Support
* 613-768-4089 / ESN 398-4089
* zawisza@nortelnetworks.com
* http://gts/departments/juniper