Re: MPLS Fast reroute questions

From: Greg Ketell (gketell@juniper.net)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 13:50:37 EDT

At 09:51 PM 8/21/2001, Andrew Smith wrote:
>Hi, all
>
>In the documentation regarding fast reroute, it says "
>If a node detects either that a downstream link has
>failed (using a link-layer specific liveness
>detection mechanism) or that a downstream node has
>failed (for example, using the RSVP neighbor hello
>protocol)"
>
>What exactly is "link-layer specific liveness
>detection mechanism".

Depends on the interface type. Sonet uses the sonet singles LOF, LOP,
etc. Ethernets use timers (unless the link from router to switch fails,
then it uses loss of link). etc

>What do I need to do to
>configure it for different L2 medium (POS, Ethernet,
>etc)

Nothing. It is built in.

>What are some of the commands to monitor this feature,
>say, the time it take to reroute the traffic.

Try ping. I'm not sure if there is built in but you probably want to use
external testing so you get "reality".

>How does MPLS handle this, will it issue a new lable
>for the backup path? How will MPLS labels behave when
>the primary path comes back?

Depends on your configuration. Do you have Fast ReRoute configured? Do
you have standby secondaries configured?

GK