Re: [j-nsp] Better distribution of outbound packets

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2001 - 13:53:42 EDT

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 12:19:36PM -0400, Kerry Schwab wrote:
> Firewall(s)
> | 12.5.136.1 == VRRP Address,
> Web/SMTP/etc servers defaults to M5#1
> 12.5.136.19 == M5#1 ip addr
> 12.5.136.18 == M5#2 ip addr
>

> We are advertising 12.5.136.0/24 via BGP, and this seems to
> work pretty well for inbound packets. Provider #1 and
> provider #2 seem to have a good distribution of routes,
> and so the inbound traffic seems to be as evenly divided
> as I could hope for (60/40 or so).
>
> Additionaly, we seem to able to survive an outage ( DS3, router,
> or provider), and the inbound and outbound packets start going
> over the surviving line nicely.
>
> But....outbound packets don't seem to be distributed in the same
> ratio as the inbound ones. *Some* traffic goes to provider #2,
> but the ratio is something like 90/10 ( again, inbound is closer to 60/40).

The obvious solution would be to add a second VRRP address, where the
other M5 is primary, and have half your servers use that one, that is
probably the easiest solution.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)

One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them, One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.