RE: [j-nsp] cflowd sampling

From: Stephen Gill (gillsr@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:38:41 EST

Unfortunately you are limited by a 100-Mbps bus b/n the RE and PFE
(fxp1). For this reason, the number of packets that you can sample is
limited, thus the need for telling the router what you really want to
classify as interesting. You can be as granular as you would like when
doing so, such as by sampling syn/fin packets, etc... Keep in mind that
there is a built in rate-limiting mechanism of 7000pps no matter how
much you may try to sample.

It will be difficult to measure a full flow (including ack packets) if
you cannot sample ALL traffic. As long as you stay within the built in
limitations of pps you can sample based on filters.

According to the docs on the 'run-length' flag: "Set the number of
samples following the initial trigger event, thus allowing you to sample
adjacent packets to those already being sampled." IE. A run-length of
0 will not sample any other packets in addition to the first one - this
is the behavior you have noticed.

You may also wish to visit the juniper-nsp archives for previous posts
on netflow here: http://puck.nether.net/lists/juniper-nsp/

Juniper has posted a relevant Whitepaper on accounting that you may find
useful here: http://www.juniper.net/techcenter/techpapers/200010.pdf

Cheers,
-- steve