Re: Path protection

From: Der-Hwa Gan (dhg@juniper.net)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 16:23:31 EDT

> Hi,
> I have a question about Path protection in Juniper routers(To be clear
> iam not talking about fast reroute).Junos provides the concept of
> secondary LSP which is can be used for data traffic when the primary LSP
> is not reachable.Can this be taken as Path protection?

That is the intention.

> And how does the ingress router know that the primary path is not
> available?

Ingress router depends on downstream routers' PathErr or ResvTear messages
to find out any connectivity problems. Those are standard RSVP messages,
so no extra procedures/protocols required to make it work.

> And does junos implement
> draft-chang-mpls-path-protection-02.txt?

No.

> And also does junos support node protection?

It does. However, unlike link failures, node failures are more difficult
to detect in timely fashion.

Der-Hwa Gan